While making a dog house or installing a wooden floor board, much of the planks are left as scraps. Some are too small for any other use. So I will tell you some creative ways to use these scrap material.
- Make a wooden doormat – Yes you can make a real classic wooden doormat from the leftover planks. It looks cool. Just cut lengths to 12 inches and drill holes in side. Use string to keep it together.
- Tool to smoothen wallpaper – You can build a small tool to smoothen the wallpaper. Just cut a small plank and use foam board to make a handle. You can use this to smoothen the wallpaper removing any air bubbles.
- Cover the ceiling – If the scrap is enough you can use it to cover the ceiling. It will give the vintage look and give weather protection also.
- Make a classic frame for a desk photo – You can cut and size up a scrap wood plank to design a photo frame. You just need small pieces to work upon. Use another scrap wood plank to screw at the back to make a classic wooden photo frame.
- make a soil hoe handle – You can make hoe handle out of the scrap which can be used to level out soil in the garden.
Carpentry is not about cutting and gluing wooden pieces together. It is an art and needs to be learned carefully.There are few basic things you need to learn to become a good carpenter.
- Measuring – Right measurement is the soul of carpentry. The most important tool is not the saw, but the measuring tape and the pencil. If you learn to make right measurements half the skill is learnt.The pencil helps to make markings, and you are on the way to become a great carpenter.Always measure twice to make sure you get them right. Right measurement saves extra work done due to wrong measurement.
- Marking – Marking is another skill that you will learn in time. It is a fact that proper marking makes you cut better. Beginners make the mistake of marking a spot with a straight pencil mark. However the best way to mark is a “V” as it is the right way to mark if you are sawing after the cut. The other important tool in marking is the triangle tool. It is a right angle triangle which you can use to go straight while marking the other end of the wooden board before cutting.
- Support the Board that is to be cut – Sagging while sawing is a major problem faced by beginners. The way to save on this is to give ample support to the board to be cut.
There is more tips for beginners coming in the next blog. See you soon!