While making a dog house or installing a wooden floor board, much of the planks are left as scraps. Some are too small for any other use. So I will tell you some creative ways to use these scrap material.
- Make a wooden doormat – Yes you can make a real classic wooden doormat from the leftover planks. It looks cool. Just cut lengths to 12 inches and drill holes in side. Use string to keep it together.
- Tool to smoothen wallpaper – You can build a small tool to smoothen the wallpaper. Just cut a small plank and use foam board to make a handle. You can use this to smoothen the wallpaper removing any air bubbles.
- Cover the ceiling – If the scrap is enough you can use it to cover the ceiling. It will give the vintage look and give weather protection also.
- Make a classic frame for a desk photo – You can cut and size up a scrap wood plank to design a photo frame. You just need small pieces to work upon. Use another scrap wood plank to screw at the back to make a classic wooden photo frame.
- make a soil hoe handle – You can make hoe handle out of the scrap which can be used to level out soil in the garden.
Carpentry is not about cutting and gluing wooden pieces together. It is an art and needs to be learned carefully.There are few basic things you need to learn to become a good carpenter.
- Measuring – Right measurement is the soul of carpentry. The most important tool is not the saw, but the measuring tape and the pencil. If you learn to make right measurements half the skill is learnt.The pencil helps to make markings, and you are on the way to become a great carpenter.Always measure twice to make sure you get them right. Right measurement saves extra work done due to wrong measurement.
- Marking – Marking is another skill that you will learn in time. It is a fact that proper marking makes you cut better. Beginners make the mistake of marking a spot with a straight pencil mark. However the best way to mark is a “V” as it is the right way to mark if you are sawing after the cut. The other important tool in marking is the triangle tool. It is a right angle triangle which you can use to go straight while marking the other end of the wooden board before cutting.
- Support the Board that is to be cut – Sagging while sawing is a major problem faced by beginners. The way to save on this is to give ample support to the board to be cut.
There is more tips for beginners coming in the next blog. See you soon!
What I love about working with wood these days is that you don’t need the biceps like bygone foresters needed to work with wood. Anyone these days can use the modern power tools available to make anything from tiny shelves to complex furniture pieces. There are a few basic techniques to master, and it can be satisfying and economical to build even the simplest objects.
On the Internet you can actually find some excellent basic tutorials on woodwork which avoid all that inhibiting jargon and introduce useful techniques clearly and simply. They get you started with making simple items like a small wooden wine rack where the only tools you’ll need are a saw, a carpenter’s square, steel tape and a chisel.
Of course as you progress you move on too much more advanced stuff with special purpose-tools. Recently I made a stunning little shelf unit or spice rack, and after years of practice and using accurate machinery, there are pretty few imperfections. This is great for the kitchen and with the dimensions the unit can be altered easily to make it suitable for holding books, bottles or tins.
All woodwork will need finishing if you want to prevent it from warping and becoming dirty, but that’s another topic altogether.
Finishing is the difference between an ordinary piece and an amazing piece in Carpentry.You must be wondering how a particular person can finish better than others.It is not magic but some careful tricks which helps to finish a piece better.
- Practice the work – If you trying the work for the first time, the best way is to try it out on some scrap wood. It will enhance your skills and also you will make a great finished final piece.Practice makes a man perfect is it not?
- Careful with Glue – Glue is an essential for making a wooden article. However it can leave bad stains if you are not careful.Use the glue with care and avoid excess usage.
- Always cut down – The best results in cutting wood can be had when you are cutting down. There are less chances of mistakes as you can keep a continuous watch. This is the secret to straight cuts using the saw.
- Use of nails – When using nails try to be careful when binding the edges. The nails might cause a split in the frame. It will ruin your work. So be careful and use standard nails rather than one from the local shop.
- Corner Handling – In all articles that you will make corners are a problem. Too blunt does not look good and too sharp can cause injuries. The best way is to use decorations to make the corners smooth.
If you follow these simple techniques the finishing will take a lift. Believe me I was most happy when I made my first well finished article a small chair.